Dhauli, Odisha is the land which saw the transformation of an Emperor into a great apostle of Buddhism. We get a chance to witness the Dhauli Kalinga Mahotsav on the backdrop of the Shanti Stupa at Dhauli. Explore the history of Odisha which impacted the shape of India and its religions. Also witness the myriad arts of Oriya artists from handlooms to ikat to dokra art.
Odisha is a historical treasure but equally brilliant are its natural surroundings. We visit the Bhitarkanika Mangrove forest for sighting the birds and reptiles, take a cruise on the huge Chilika lake for spotting the Irrawaddy dolphins and try our luck at the Rushikulya beach to see the Olive Ridley turtles.
Day 1 - 03 Feb 2018
Arrive at Bhubaneshwar. We will try to cover the Linga Raja temple and the Raja Rani temple today. Settle in to your homestay in Bhubaneshwar and listen to the stories your very knowldegeble host has to tell. Overnight at Bhubaneshwar
Day 2 - 04 Feb 2018
Check out and visit the Khandagiri Jain Temple caves and Mukteshwar Temple. Visit the Ratnagiri Buddhist Archeological site. Reach the riverside palace stay in Aul. Enjoy the evening folk dance performance. Overnight at Aul.
Day 3 - 05 Feb 2018
After an early breakfast we set out in a boat to explore the Bhitarkanika Sanctuary, which is a mangrove forest and Ramsar Wetland, spread over more than 600 square kilometers. We explore the rich biodiversity in the boat accompanied by a guide. Overnight at Aul.
Day 4 - 06 Feb 2018
Check out after breakfast and visit Udayagiri and Lalitagiri, which, together with Ratnagiri are referred to as the “Diamond Triangle”. The sites consist of a series of monasteries, temples, shrines, stupas, and beautiful sculptures of Buddhist images. Move to the Kapilash Temple and Zoo.
Have lunch at the zoo while interacting with the rescued baby elephants. Proceed to Dhenkanal. Settle in your beautiful palace and stay with the erstwhile royal family. Overnight at Dhenkanal.
Day 5 - 07 Feb 2018
Today we visit the Textile villages of Maniabandha and Nuapatna, famous for its Khandua Ikat work. Visit Saptasajya – a place of scenic beauty where according to legends, the Pandavas spent some days of their incognito life. En route we halt at Sadei Bereni for its Dokra artisans.
We move further to Bhubaneshwar and attend the Dhauli Kalinga Mahotsav in the evening. Watch the mesimerising cultural performance at the Dhauli Stupa that forms the beautiful background. Overnight at Bhubaneshwar.
Day 6 - 08 Feb 2018
This morning, we drive out to visit the famous Konark Sun temple, designed in the shape of a colossal chariot with seven horses, carrying the Sun God, Lord Surya. On the way we visit the Artisan village of Raghurajpur, where every house is an artist’s studio. Pattachitra paintings are the speciality of this picturesque village. We also visit Pipli, a village which dates back to the 10th century where craftsmen predominantly made applique handicrafts.
We reach Puri where and get a glimpse of the sacred Jagannath Temple, one of the Char Dhams. We are deliberately not making it a mandatory feature of our itinerary because the temple does not allow non-Hindus to enter.
We finally take off to Satpada, one of the many ways to approach the Chilika Lake, the largest coastal lagoon in India. Overnight at the resort in Satpada.
Day 7 - 09 Feb 2018
Early morning boat visit to the mouth where the Chilika meets the sea. Enjoy the beautiful beach and return to the resort for breakfast. We then set out for a tour to spot the Irrawaddy Dolphin in the vast Chilka Lake and also visit the mini-Kalijai temple on one of the many islands of Chilika.
Return to the resort by lunch and proceed to Barkul; another beautiful point to access Chilika which has many wonders to hold. We call it an early night today.
Day 8 - 10 Feb 2018
We do a pre-dawn trip (start at 2:30am) to the Rushikulya beach 60 kms from Barkul to witness the nesting of Olive Ridley Turtles. Olive Ridley turtles nest in millions on certain sections of Orissa’s coasts during the night. But due to several threats (all man-made), very few of those that hatch make it to the sea — a distance of less than a 100 metres. We will be guided by the volunteer of the NGO dedicated to turtle conservation.
Return and relax. Check out after breakfast. You can again go for another 5-hour tour of Chilika to the Nalbana Bird Sanctuary and the Kalijai Island. Chilika is the largest wintering ground for migratory birds on the Indian sub-continent.
Proceed to Bhubaneshwar. Visit Pipli, if missed earlier. Overnight at Bhubneshwar
Day 9 - 11 Feb 2018
After breakfast, if there is time before your flight, step out for some shopping at Ekamra Haat Bazaar. Get dropped to the airport for our respective flights. Trip ends.
- All meals – starting with Evening Tea on Day 1 and ending with Breakfast on Day 9 – (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, two Tea/Coffee) – during the Tour.
- Transport in an AC vehicle throughout the trip
- All stay on twin sharing basis
- All entry charges
- Boat excrusion to Bhitarkanika Sanctuary including permits
- Dolphin spotting cruise at Satpada
- Forest department permit for Rushikulya beach
- Nalbana bird sanctuary tour from Barkul
- Guidance of an conservation volunteer at Rushikulya beach
- Guidance of a F5 Tour Leader
Food other than mentioned in inclusions
GST at 5%
Flights to Bhubaneshwar and back, from your city of residence
Terms & Conditions
If cancelled 90 days or more in advance, cancellation fee is 12% of the trip amount. You may park the token money with us for future trip within next 6 months, without any charges.
- 25% of the trip cost if cancelled 60 days in advance.
- 50% of the trip cost if cancelled 59 to 16 days in advance.
- Last 15 days – no show – entire amount will be forfeited.
- If you use our services to book flights, cancellation charges of the flights will apply.
Option of Deffered trip:
You have an option of parking the paid amount with us for a future trip, if you wish to cancel joining this trip 60 days or more in advance.
Following conditions apply:
- You need to choose the trip you would like to go with instead (the deferred trip) within 2 months of deciding to cancel.
- The travel start date of the deferred trip should be within 6 months from the day you decide to cancel.
- There can be only one such change and once you decide the deferred trip, the cancellation policy of that trip applies.
- You cannot choose a short trip (less than 5 days) as a deferred trip.
- This is a non-smoking and a non-alcoholic trip for all practical reasons.
- 50% of the trip cost is required to confirm the booking.
- The booking does not include flights as the flight rates are extremely unpredictable. However, we can help you book your flights for the trip.
- All our trips are well-researched, including identifying access to medical facilities. In case of a medical emergency, F5 will assist the traveler in getting medical attention.
- F5 Escapes is in no way responsible for any untoward incident happening due to the ignorance/negligence of the guests, natural/man-made calamities, accidents or any other events that are out of human control during the trip.
- F5 reserves the right to cancel the trip under certain conditions – in such a case, the amount will be refunded in full.
Arrival & Departure timings
The trip is ex- Bhubaneswar. Arrival by 2 PM on Day 1. Departure after 12 Noon on Day 9.
Weather in Odisha will be pleasant. It can get cold during the evennings especially near the Mangrove forest and Chilika Lake.
*Please note that nowadays, climate/ weather is dependent on many factors and unpredictable hence above information might be subject to change during your actual travel days
We will be staying in a mix of homestays, heritage stays, eco resort and government rest houses.
Note > Prepare > Accept > Embrace:
- Tourism in Odisha is still picking up, so options of stays at remote places are limited. Some places only have the government facilities, but we really think those places deserve a visit.
- This is east so the morning will be early and the day will get over early too. Also, for the sightings various species, the best time is morning.
- Sightings of Dolphins and Olive Ridley turtle cannot be guaranteed. Climate change has affected the water level and military testing and tourist activities have affected the migration patterns. Please also note that the Irrawady Dolphins do not have snouts and look different from the popular images of dolphins.
- Lingaraj Temple and Puri Jagannath temple do not allow Non-Hindus. This policy is more enforced in case of Non-Indians as the difference is easily spottable.
- There are some days where you are either travelling for long or have to get up at a certain time to enjoy the experience planned. Please cooperate.
- WiFi is available at the Bhubaneshwar stay in the common area. Considering the remoteness of other destinations, the same cannot be promised at other stays.
- Your evenings will end early except in Bhubaneshwar. You can choose to step out in Bhubaneshwar in the evening after the day’s agenda. All other places are remote and the town would shut early.
- Since the driver would need his sleep to be able to driver carefully the next day, the vehicle will not be there are your disposal once the day’s agenda is over. It will be available, of course, if there is an emergency. But a leisure outing will have to be managed on your own (a local taxi/auto can be arranged – to be paid for as actuals).
Interesting Read About Odisha
‘F5 Escapes’ is a Bangalore-based, experiential travel company, with a focus on crafting and executing all-women travel experiences in India. The premise of F5 is an ambitious dream – to put India on the global travel map as a preferred destination for women. Come, join us, as we work towards redefining the way women travel India.
We all need regular breaks, be it a day’s off from our daily chores, life’s chaos, the work stress, the urban traffic or a relationship crisis. Be it anything, what matters is the break that you need. How often is that idea put into action? Well, we don’t blame you for the inaction. We have been there, done that and hence the idea of F5 Escapes. Let us help you travel. Sustainably, responsibly, safely.