If there is a part of India which is still not fully known to us, it is the North East. Nagaland, especially, feels like a land far, far away in our imagination. Blessed with nature’s bounty, Nagaland is home to 16 major tribes and various subtribes. It is a land of folklore, dance and fierce historical battles, where the tribes still prefer living naturally. Explore Nagaland during the Hornbill Festival and experience their culture, dance, traditions and of course, the chilli eating competition. These will be action packed 6 days!
Single Occupancy Surcharge – INR 20,000 + 5% GST
Use Early Bird Discount Code EBOCT1000 for 1000 off. Validity extended to 10th Nov 2023!
Day 1 - 06 Dec 2023
Arrive in Dimapur and after lunch, proceed to Kohima. Although only 75 kms away, the journey will take you longer due to the road conditions. Reach your stay and relax. Overnight at Kohima.
Day 2 - 07 Dec 2023
Spend the whole day today at the Hornbill festival and its associated carnival. The activities range from dance performances to craft demonstrations, shopping, car rally and chilli eating competition. Get a taste of Naga dishes. After the merrymaking during the day, have dinner at a nearby campsite. Return to the hotel. Overnight at Kohima.
Day 3 - 08 Dec 2023
Explore Kohima and understand the history of Kohima and its ferocious Naga tribes. The British incursions into the Naga territory, beginning in the 1840s, met with stiff resistance from the independence-loving Nagas, who had never been conquered by any empire before. It took the British 4 decades to conquer just a part of it. Learn about the Battle of Kohima, the turning point of the Burma Campaign. Wonder why our history books didn’t mention it! Visit the War Memorial, Museum and Church to understand it all.
In the evening, the Night bazar in the main Kohima town is a nice place to spend some time. Have dinner at a cafe with live music. Overnight at Kohima.
Day 4 - 09 Dec 2023
Drive up to Dzuleke. The village gets its name from the river Dzuleke that, during its course, goes underground once it reaches the village. It is a unique place, not only for its flora and fauna but also because this hunting village has banned hunting to protect wildlife. Spend some time in this beautiful valley and go for a small hike. Drive back to the tourist village of Khonoma. Inhabited by the Angami tribes, Khonoma has made some giant strides in ecological conservation and eco tourism.
Go for a village walk and return to Kohima. Overnight at Kohima
Day 5 - 10 Dec 2023
Witness the closing ceremony of the Hornbill festival. Spend another day at the Hornbill Festival grounds. Every day here brings a different offering and programs. Get your fill of the amazing cultural extra bonanza. Overnight at Kohima.
Day 6 - 11 Dec 2023
Check out after breakfast and go for a hike at the Pulie Badze Wildlife Sanctuary. The sanctuary is spread in an area of more than 9 km sq and is designated as an Important Bird Area (IBA). Have packed lunch, and return. Start your journey back to Dimapur. Overnight at Dimapur.
Day 7 - 12 Dec 2023
After breakfast, fly out of Dimapur airport, keeping the memories alive in your heart.
- Accommodation for 6N on twin sharing basis.
- All transportation in an AC Tempo Traveller as per the itinerary. AC will be switched off in the hills.
- Entry tickets to the museums, monuments and Hornbill festival
- Inner line permit for Nagaland
- Three major meals in a day with evening tea/coffee, starting from lunch on Day 1 till breakfast on Day 7, except lunches on Day 2 and Day 5.
- You will be at the Hornbill festivals ground during Day 2 and Day 5, exploring different stalls and shows. It will be impossible to have the group together for lunch.
- Local guide on Day 1 and Day 3 at Hornbill Festival
- Local Guide for Kohima Sightseeing
- Local guide for Dzuleke and Khonoma
- Local guide for Pulie Badze
- Your F5 trip lead
- Tolls and Parking
- Food, snacks other than mentioned in inclusions.
- Packaged drinking water
- Camera charges
- Activity charges other than mentioned
- Tips and personal expenses
- Flights/trains/bus to reach Dimapur and return
- Any cost arising due to natural calamities, personal flight delays and aspects beyond our control. We will definitely facilitate an alternative and handle the contingency, the cost being yours.
Terms & Conditions
- 15% of the trip cost if cancelled 90 days or more in advance.
- 25% of the trip cost if cancelled 89 – 60 days in advance.
- 50% of the trip cost if it is cancelled 59 to 16 days in advance.
- Last 15 days – no show – the entire amount will be forfeited.
- If you use our services to book flights, cancellation charges will apply
- All our trips are well-researched, including identifying access to medical facilities. In case of a medical emergency, F5 will assist the traveler in getting medical attention.
- F5 Escapes is in no way responsible for any untoward incident happening due to the ignorance/negligence of the guests, natural/man-made calamities, accidents or any other events that are out of human control during the trip.
- F5 reserves the right to cancel the trip under certain conditions – in such a case, the amount will be refunded in full.
Arrival & Departure Timings:
This trip is Ex-Dimapur. Joining us from different city?
Reach Dimapur for 1 PM on Day 1 and fly out anytime on Day 7.
Note on weather:
Nagaland will be pleasantly cold during the day and cold during mornings and evenings. You can expect maximum temperatures around 20 degrees and minimum around 5.
*Please note that now a days, climate/ weather is dependent on many factors and unpredictable hence above information might be subject to change during your actual travel days
NOTE ABOUT SMOKING & ALCOHOL:
Everyone joining is an adult and we realise that we cannot dictate the behaviour on how you should enjoy the trip. All we ask is to drink responsibly. Hangover delays are going to cost a lot, and will not be tolerated at all. So please do not test your limits and enjoy in moderation. Also, do respect your roommate’s comfort levels with the alcohol smell and avoid drinking in the room if she is not comfortable.
If you smoke, please do so outside the room, even if the rooms have ashtray.
About your stay:
- Kohima- De Oriental Grand
- Dimapur – Zone Naithu by The Park
Please note that Naga cuisine is predominantly non-vegetarian. So while we will ensure that vegetarian food is available, the variety and options will be limited for vegetarians.
Note > Prepare > Accept > Embrace:
- Please read the itinerary thoroughly. Consider asking questions if needed.
- The trip is ending on a Tuesday, so that you can observe the closing ceremony of the Hornbill festival.
- We have not added 2 of the lunches in the trip because those days would be spent at the grounds of Hornbill festival. The group may not be together and there are too many stalls to sample food that it would be impossible to keep track of expenses accordingly.
- Kohima becomes extremely crowded during the Hornbill festival. You can expect longer travel timings and delays in orders.
- The Kohima town is running at more than its full capacity, so the people in the hospitality industry are stretched thin. Be patient and kind.
- The Hornbill Festival is an international festival. Large number of tourists combined with the bad road conditions results in traffic jams. Please ensure that you carry your stash of snacks to munch on the way.
- Kohima goes through load shedding during the festival. Expect power cuts. Your hotel will have a backup but not a generator.
- This is East, so the sun rises early and sets early. We will start our day early to finish all that we planned.
- Unlike most F5 Escapes’ trips, this trip is not about the stays. We are ensuring that you stay in a hotel which is capable of accommodating the demand of the season in terms of power loads and maintenance. You will be spending a lot of time outdoors and the hotels are chosen to be efficient and comfortable.
Interesting Read About Nagaland Hornbill Festival
‘F5 Escapes’ is a Bangalore-based, experiential travel company, with a focus on redefining the way women travel in India. The premise of F5 is an ambitious dream – to put India on the global travel map as a preferred destination for women from across the globe.
F5 Escapes offers fixed departure all-women group tours, customized itineraries for families, groups and solo travellers. We also do in-city engagements which include #JustGo travel meetups, workshops to educate women on travel safety, sustainable menstruation, motorbiking etc.