Meghalaya – the abode of clouds – is an enticing state. Dotted with myriad waterfalls and caves, this place is a beautiful amalgamation of nature, culture and progress. A matrilineal society of Khasi tribes is a story we should all hear. We are going to explore the pretty lakes, surreally clear river and the cleanest village in Asia. To the adventure seeker there is a greatly rewarding trek to the double decker living root bridge and the crystal clear mountain pools, as well as adventure activities at the Umngot River.
Please read everything carefully. You should be sure of what you are signing up for. We welcome your questions.
Dates: 4th to 12th March 2023
Price: INR 55,500 + 5% GST
Single Occupancy Surcharge: INR 19,000 + 5% GST
Day 1 - 04 Mar 2023
Assemble at Guwahati airport and after lunch, proceed to Shillong. Settle in to your stay. If energy permits, take a walk around the Ward Lake. Overnight at Shillong.
Day 2 - 05 Mar 2023
After breakfast, visit India’s own Grand Canyon at Laitlum. Explore the Shillong town for some shopping and cafes. Overnight at Shillong.
Day 3 - 06 Mar 2023
Start after breakfast towards Shnongpdeng. We will be camping on the banks of Umngot river tonight. But before that, visit the beautiful Krang Suri waterfall. Get into a boat ride where your boat appears to be suspended mid-air, so clear is the water. Cross the crystal clear waters of Umngot and reach the campsite by lunch. Indulge in water activities on the river like SCUBA diving, snorkelling, cliff jumping and kayaking. Barbeque, bonfire and camping under the stars! Overnight at Shnongpdeng.
Day 4 - 07 Mar 2023
You can indulge in more activities in the river. We then leave for Cherrapunjee after breakfast. On the way, visit Mawlynnong – one of the cleanest villages in Asia. Visit the Riwai single root bridge. Reach Cherrapunjee and relax. Overnight at Cherrapunjee.
Day 5 - 08 Mar 2023
Explore Cherrapunjee today. Hike to the Wei Sawdong waterfall with tricky bamboo bridges. Visit the Dainthlen falls and the Garden of caves. Cherrapunjee has no dearth of scenic spots and we will explore as much as time and energy permit. Overnight at Cherrapunjee.
Day 6 - 09 Mar 2023
Living root bridges are one of the most enticing factors of Meghalaya. Today we trek to the double decker bridge to Nongriat. It is around 3000 steps but totally worth the exercise. If your energy permits, we can trek till the Rainbow waterfalls and dip into the pristine mountain pools. The water is crystal clear and a colour of absolutely mesmerising azure. We are staying tonight at Nongriat, a small village on the trek; so that we can do the trek at our own pace. Overnight at Nongriat.
Day 7 - 10 Mar 2023
After a relaxed breakfast we trek back to the base and return to Cherrapunjee. After lunch, it is a relaxed day. Rest your aching muscles and bond over stories. Overnight at Cherrapunjee.
Day 8 - 11 Mar 2023
Today will be an early start. Proceed to Mawphlang Sacred Grove and listen to the stories of Khasi culture. The 78 hectare of land protected by the deity Labasa, is one of the many sacred forests across Meghalaya. Stop at Umiam Lake and then reach Guwahati. Dinner and overnight at Guwahati.
Day 9 - 12 Mar 2023
Take your flight back home, before or after breakfast, depending on your timings. Trip ends with beautiful memories and friendships.
- 8 nights’ stay on double occupancy
- A dedicated vehicle throughout the trip. AC will not be on in Meghalaya.
- All meals starting from lunch on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 9.
- Morning and Evening Tea/Coffee
- Entry tickets to monuments
- Boating at Umngot River
- Guide for Mawphlang Sacred Grove and for the Nongriat Trek
- Toll and Parking
- Guidance of an F5er
- Flights from your city of residence to Guwahati and back
- Meals other than specified
- Activities other than mentioned (approximate cost mentioned below)
- Scuba diving: 3500/-
- Zip line: 500/-
- Cliff : 400/-
- Kayaking: 600/-
- Snorkeling: 600/-
- Trekking: 400/-
- Paddle Boarding: 600/-
- Rock climbing/ Rappelling: 1000/-
- Personal expenses – tips, laundry, beverages, medical expenses
- Camera charges
- Stay and vehicle charges if you opt out of the trek on the 9th March and go sightseeing. We can arrange it at actuals.
- Guwahati sightseeing, if your return flight is in the evening. We can arrange a taxi for sightseeing on actuals.
- Any cost arising due to natural calamities, personal flight delays and aspects beyond our control. We will definitely facilitate an alternative and handle the contingency, the cost being yours.
- 5% GST
Terms & Conditions
- If cancelled 90 days or more in advance, cancellation fee is 12% of the trip amount.
- 25% of the trip cost if cancelled 89 – 60 days in advance.
- 50% of the trip cost if cancelled 59 to 16 days in advance.
- Last 15 days – no show – the entire amount will be forfeited.
- If you use our services to book flights, cancellation charges of the flights will apply.
F5 CARES FOR YOUR SAFETY!
- We will be filling only upto 10 seats in a 13 seater vehicle.
- Your tour lead will be fully vaccinated, masked up and will be carrying sanitizer.
- As tourism picks up, most destinations will most probably be crowded – we are planning our trips such that we do not have to spend a long time in enclosed crowded spaces.
- Proper ventilation in indoor and closed spaces mitigates the viral load and the risk of CoViD infection. While we will hire a high quality AC vehicle, we will be using the AC only when it is required. For the most part, we will encourage the windows to be open and fresh air to circulate in the vehicle.
- It is mandatory to be fully vaccinated to be a part of F5 trips.
- Please go through the guidelines of Meghalaya Tourism here. We will be generating the e-invite for you, if applicable, as a part of the group. https://www.meghalayatourism.in/travel-norms/. These are subject to change and we will closely monitor the change in guidelines, if any.
- Please do keep in mind that even restaurants where we stop on the highway for breakfast/tea might be crowded. Always exercise caution.
- Please do not travel if you have symptoms prior to the trip – for your own and other people’s safety.
- ALWAYS mask up, carry your sanitizer and take all precautions while on the trip. Stay safe and have fun!
- F5 Escapes is in no way responsible for any untoward incident happening due to the ignorance/negligence of the guests, natural/man-made calamities, accidents or any other events that are out of human control during the trip.
- All our trips are well-researched, including identifying access to medical facilities. In case of a medical emergency, F5 will assist the traveller in getting medical attention.
- F5 reserves the right to cancel the trip under certain conditions – in such a case, the amount will be refunded in full.
Arrival & Departure timings
Flight times : Arrive before 12 Noon in Guwahati on Day 1. Depart anytime on Day 9. The hotel check out will be at 11 AM.
Note on weather
It is going to be pleasant during the trip. Overall expected temperature range is 10 to 22 degrees C. You may get slight rainfall that may bring the temperature down further. Sudden drizzle is common in the mountains.
*Please note that now a days, climate/ weather is dependent on many factors and unpredictable hence above information might be subject to change during your actual travel days
Note about Smoking and Alcohol
If you smoke, please do so outside the room, even if the rooms have ashtray. Smoking in the vehicle is not allowed.
About your stay
- Guwahati – A business hotel in close proximity to the airport
- Shillong – A beautiful, locally run BnB built in the 60s, with all modern conveniences.
- Shnongpdeng – Safari tents pitched on the shore of the Umngot river. The location is remote and the power is completely solar. So hot water is not to be expected.
- Cherrapunjee – A locally run resort where each cottage is built in a different style, using traditional architecture of the region. Spread over 69 acres, with a stream within the property, each cottage is a unit in itself with a centralised kitchen.
- Cherrapunjee Second stay – A beautifully done small resort, family run and close to the place of trek.
- Guwahati – A business hotel in close proximity to the airport
- Simple Indian food such as rotis/dal, rice etc. Toast/Omelettes will be available.
- Most of the local cuisine in Meghalaya is non-vegetarian; a majority of them contain pork; and we will request those dishes if you want. Cafes in Shillong will have a great continental fare.
- If you have special dietary requests, please let us know beforehand.
- It would also be a good idea to carry some meal packets with you if you have special requirements.
- Please note that there is no dearth of vegetarian food, but please do not expect an all-vegetarian (only vegetarian) place to eat. Those are almost impossible to find in Meghalaya.
Note > Prepare > Accept > Embrace
- Please note that we stay in homestays and resorts and they will have their unique rooms. Please do not compare your rooms with fellow travellers. They will all be of the same comfort level but will have different asthetics and sizes.
- Every adventure activity comes with a moderate risk. The vendor is a reliable one but please take into account your own comfort level before going for any of them.
- This is an active trip. Trekking to Nongriat will require a certain level of fitness. It is around 3000 stairs one way just to the double decker bridge (near our stay for the night). The Rainbow falls are still further up and will take you an hour and a half one way from the double decker bridge. Even other waterfalls, points of interest will require hiking and walking. If you are involved in some sort of physical exercise regularly, you should be fine with the activity. If you have any pre-existing conditions, please let us know in advance.
- The stay at Shnonpdeng is a camping site and you will be in safari tents where you will have attached bathroom. However, this place is remote and is run on solar energy. Hot water for bathing and washing purposes will not be available.
- The stay at Nongriat is planned just to give you time to explore the mountain pools and the beauty on the trek. By staying at Nongriat, we are ensuring that you are not rushed. However, the stays there are backpackers’ accommodation – clean and basic, with shared bathrooms.
- We will be leaving our luggage behind in the vehicle while going for the campsite at Shnonpdeng as we will be crossing the river on a boat. Same is applicable for the day we are going to trek to Nongriat. Just carry a change of clothes and essentials for the night. You will be carrying your own backpack on the trek, so pack with caution.
- If you want to sit out of the trek, we can arrange for your stay and taxi for 9th March at extra cost. However, this whole trip is pretty active and if you are not up to activity, you may reconsider.
- Sun rises very early in the North East. It will be very bright by 7am, and absolutely dark by 5PM. So the days will have to start early. Please cooperate with the trip lead. Being rural areas, Cherrapunjee, Mawlynnong and Nongriat don’t offer any night life. So it will be early to bed and early to rise.
‘F5 Escapes’ is a Bangalore-based, experiential travel company, with a focus on redefining the way women travel in India. The premise of F5 is an ambitious dream – to put India on the global travel map as a preferred destination for women from across the globe.
F5 Escapes offers fixed departure all-women group tours, customized itineraries for families, groups and solo travellers. We also do in-city engagements which include #JustGo travel meetups, workshops to educate women on travel safety, sustainable menstruation, motorbiking etc.