Theyyam, the ritualistic performance described as the most visible and spectacular art form of Malabar (Northern Kerala), has been associated with myths and legends. Theyyam forms the cornerstone of this trip which is of course, peppered with coastal beauty, backwaters, beaches and scenic forts. Stay on an island between the backwaters and the ocean, enjoy the village life and traditional meals, visit Bekal fort and take a houseboat cruise. This is a short but power packed trip!
Single Occupancy surcharge – INR 8500 + 5% GST
Day 1 - 25 Jan 2024
Arrive at the Kannur airport between 1PM and 4:30 PM. This trip starts in the evening. If you are arriving early, we can arrange for a day-hotel for you at extra cost.
You will be transported to your island stay at Kavvayi. Today is to relax and soak in the peace at your homestay, surrounded by lake backwaters on one side, and the Arabian sea coast on the other side. Dinner and overnight at Kavvayi islands.
Day 2 - 26 Jan 2024
After breakfast, proceed to visit the beautiful Bekal Fort. Visit a local village and go for a tour witnessing the rubber tapping process, toddy extraction, coconut climbing and other village experiences.
Spend evening on a houseboat around Nileshwar and enjoy the cruise.
Return to the homestay for homely dinner. Overnight at Kavvayi islands.
Day 3 - 27 Jan 2024
Spend the morning around backwaters. You can enjoy kayaking and boating today or simply go swimming. Check out after breakfast.
Visit a Kalaripayattu training unit and see the ancient martial arts in action. Also visit handicrafts and handloom units. Check into a resort closer to the Theyyam kavu. In the evening, visit the shrine for the Theyyam performance. Return by dinner. Overnight at Payyanur.
Day 4 - 28 Jan 2024
Start at 3am from the resort to witness the Fire Theyyam. Return to the resort by 6 AM and relax. After breakfast, you will be dropped at the Kannur airport for your return flight.
- Local transportation in an AC vehicle.
- Accommodation for 3 nights on double occupancy
- All meals starting from Dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 4
- Evening tea/coffee
- Guidance of an F5 Traveller
- Guide for Theyyam visits
- 2 hour evening cruise in a houseboat
- Guided village tour
- All activities and entrance fee
- Tolls and parking
- Flights to and from Kannur
- Packaged water bottles
- Tips and other expenses of personal nature
- Meals and beverages not mentioned in the inclusions
- Water activities like kayaking
- Camera charges
- Any cost arising due to natural calamities, personal flight delays and aspects beyond our control. We will definitely facilitate an alternative and handle the contingency, the cost being yours
Terms & Conditions
REFUND AND CANCELLATION POLICY
- Upto 30 days prior to the date of commencement of trip – 25% deducted and 75% refunded as cash.
- Upto 11 days prior to the date of commencement of trip – 50% deducted and rest refunded as cash.
- Within 10 days of the commencement of trip/Last day intimation/no show – No refund.
- F5 Escapes is in no way responsible for any untoward incident happening due to the ignorance/negligence of the guests, natural/man-made calamities, accidents or any other events that are out of human control during the trip.
- All our trips are well-researched, including identifying access to medical facilities. In case of a medical emergency, F5 will assist the traveller in getting medical attention.
- F5 reserves the right to cancel the trip under certain conditions – in such a case, the amount will be refunded in full.
Water activities requires personal caution. The rides as well as swimming in backwaters are safe and fun, however, use your discretion depending on your swimming skills.
Arrival & Departure
- This trip is to Ex-Kannur and starts in the evening of Day 1.Reach Kannur between 11 AM and 4:30 PM on Day 1. If you are arriving early, we can arrange for a day-hotel for you at extra cost.
Plan your return flight after 1 PM on Day 4.
- Jan will be pleasant in North Kerala. You may get odd showers. It will be chilly near the backwaters and you may want to carry a sweatshirt/light jacket for the evenings, especially during the Fire Theyyam.
*Please note that nowadays, climate/ weather is dependent on many factors and unpredictable hence the above information might be subject to change during your actual travel days.
Note about Smoking & Alchohol
- Everyone joining is an adult and we realise that we cannot dictate the behaviour on how you should enjoy the trip. All we ask is to drink responsibly. Hangover delays are going to cost a lot, and will not be tolerated at all. So please do not test your limits and enjoy in moderation. Also, do respect your roommate’s comfort levels with the alcohol smell and avoid drinking in the room if she is not comfortable. If you smoke, please do so outside the room, even if the rooms have ashtray.
- Simple local affair – veg and non-veg
- Kavvayi Islands – A beach house located between the backwaters and the sea
- Payyanur – A conveniently located resort
Note > Prepare > Accept > Embrace:
- Not every city has a convenient flight to and from Kannur. Hence our pick ups on Day 1 will be in batches. Our destination is at a 2 hours drive from the airport
- Please adhere to the arrival and departure guidelines. If you want to book a flight outside of the window, please call us in advance.
- Please be dressed modestly while visiting the Theyyam shrine
Interesting Read About Malabar
‘F5 Escapes’ is a Bangalore-based, experiential travel company, with a focus on redefining the way women travel in India. The premise of F5 is an ambitious dream – to put India on the global travel map as a preferred destination for women from across the globe.
F5 Escapes offers fixed departure all-women group tours, customized itineraries for families, groups and solo travellers. We also do in-city engagements which include #JustGo travel meetups, workshops to educate women on travel safety, sustainable menstruation, motorbiking etc.